"La La Land" Review

 








Hello, hotties!
Here’s a new review for you, about a movie this time!
The ones of you that already follow us on Instagram surely know what I am talking about! Follow us there to get spoilers of our next reviews, we are @rewritethemovies.
Anyway, the movie is “La la land” and I watched it yesterday for the first time and I wasn’t sure I would have liked it because I love musicals – which are also one of my favorite movie genres- but I hate love stories that are too much of a cliché. Well, I had a nice surprise because I simply loved it!
As I finished it, I didn’t feel like I had just watched a two hours movie, I must have lost track of time!
But before starting to say why I loved it and why I recommend this movie, I have a warning: if you don’t like musicals, you won’t like this movie, so If I were you, I wouldn’t watch it.
The reason is very simple: some musicals could be enjoyed by everyone like “The greatest showman” or “Moulin Rouge!” because the characters don’t start singing out of nowhere, or at least not every time, because the songs are part of the plot and are related to it. This isn’t the case. If I should compare this movie to something else, I would compare it to a Disney movie, because the characters really have no reasons at all to sing. But I love that aspect of the movie because it’s so happy and funny, but I don’t think it’s for everyone.
So, let’s get serious about this movie because this movie isn’t. I mean, there is a deep meaning and a deep message behind it, but surely this movie doesn’t want to be realistic or serious.
In fact, there are a couple of scenes that will make you roll your eyes if you are too much of a rational (I am too, but that didn’t stop me from enjoying this movie a lot) but trust me, it’s worth it.
Maybe you don’t know, but this movie has won five Oscars: best actress, best director, best soundtrack, best cinematography, and best art direction.
Let’s start talking about the main actress, who is Emma Stone. Both she and Ryan Gosling were amazing in this movie and I totally agree that she deserved an Oscar for her performance. She was really brilliant and she is also very beautiful, I loved the work they did with the costumes and the makeup!
The direction really surprised me, because I found it very particular, so I’m not surprised the director won this prize: it was just something else!
The soundtrack surely isn’t one of my favorites, compared to the other musicals I saw, but I think it was really, really appropriate for this kind of movie and for the scenes. Still, the songs and the themes were absolutely great, I loved each of them. And don’t let me start talking about Ryan Gosling playing the piano! Do you know that he is ACTUALLY playing the piano in the movie and there is no piano double? He really nailed it, he was so good!
I totally agreed with this movie winning the best art direction and in my opinion, it deserved also the oscar for the best film editing, because I simply loved it! It was so particular!
And now, here we come to what I really wanted to comment on since the beginning: the cinematography. I swear, this movie has the best cinematography I’ve ever seen. I would have been very disappointed if he hadn’t won an oscar for that because he surely deserves it. The scenes, the backgrounds, the way they cured every single little detail was just wonderful. I could talk about it for hours, really. Every scene I saw made me say “Wow, this cinematography is so good” and I really meant it! So watch it at least for the cinematography!
The plot is a love story between a girl who wants to become an actress and a pianist who wants to open his own place where he will be able to play all the jazz music he wants, to save this music genre that was slowly dying.
They keep trying to realize their dreams throughout the whole movie, still doing it together and as their relationship gets stronger, staying together seems to become more difficult.
I have to admit that I was crying at the end, but I cried for a lot of movies so it doesn’t mean that you will cry too if you watch it.

So, My rating is 8,5/10
I don’t want to risk spoiling it for you guys, so I won’t say anything more about this movie.
Just watch it and let me know if you like it!
If you already watched it then leave a comment and tell me what you think about it, we could have a little and pleasant discussion!
Or even if you have some requests, if you want us to do a review of a particular movie, book, or series, just leave a comment or contact us on one of our social networks! We will reply as soon as possible.
Have a nice day!

MayPhoenix

Comments

Popular Posts