American "Horror" Story's Review

 








Hello guys! Here’s my personal review of the Tv show “American horror story”, one of the most popular shows of the last ten years, created by Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk.
I will comment shortly every single season and then I will give my overall opinion, maybe I could even rate it on a scale of ten.
Disclaimer: I watched all seasons in a month, so I am not an “old fan”. Please don’t hate me for this!


Let’s start from the beginning: Season one “Murder House”. I’ll be brutally honest, as I saw it I wasn’t totally convinced about continuing the show. I mean, the plot was quite interesting and the cast was great (especially Jessica Lange, she is THE queen) but it hadn’t what I want from a horror tv show. It wasn’t scary, I can’t remember a moment when I was really scared or anxious about what was going to happen. The plot, by the way, was really original, with also some little plot twists that were more than enjoyable. And compared to other seasons of this show, it was a real masterpiece.


But now, let’s proceed. Let’s talk about “Asylum”. I think this season was a little bit better than the first one, but there were still some details that didn’t convince me. I know that a lot of people have it as their favorite so PLEASE don’t hate me for this! It’s just my opinion, but we can discuss it in a friendly way in the comment session. In this season I really loved the plot, the religious theme was just so interesting and Sarah Paulson, Lily Rabe, and Jessica Lange's acting were just over the top. The thing I really didn’t understand was the (IT’S NOT A SPOILER IS TOLD IN THE FIRST EPISODE) presence of the aliens. It is very difficult to make aliens horror and to go beyond sci-fi it happens rarely and this season is definitely not the case.
By the way, I think the plot and the final plot twist were really good, exactly as the performance of the female actresses.
(Also, the Anne Frank thing, not even well explained was a little bit too much for me).


Let’s go on with “Coven”, then. A friend of mine told me this season was better than the previous two ones and actually, I agree.
The theme was really good, even if this season was probably the less scary (this far) and the actresses were just amazing. I don’t like Emma Roberts, but I think she did a good job on this season, even if obviously Jessica Lange is always the queen. I loved Sarah’s performance too, and, as a huge fan of Frances Conroy, I found her character in this season simply the best one.
Angela Bassett's introduction to this show was a great idea because she is a great actress and she does an amazing job in every season. The soundtrack of this season was really amazing, absolutely one of the best and I loved how this season is very fluid and easy to watch. A very good one.
Kathy Bathes was a great new entry too, she nailed it!


And here we come to my favorite season: “Freak show”. I loved it! Neither this season was scary, but it was so touching, I cried twice! If you want to appreciate it totally, by the way, you have to watch it after you saw Asylum. Jessica Lange has her best performance of the show, and the new entries, Finn Wittrock and Wes Bentley have wonderful roles and are just amazing. Great performance by Evan Peters and Sarah Paulson too, but we have to say that in this season everyone is just perfect.
The acting, the cast, the plot, the soundtrack, the photography, everything is perfect. Loved the plot twists, loved the ending, I can’t find a single thing I didn’t like. It was perfectly splendid!


Season five: “Hotel”. Okay, I know this season has received a lot of critics but personally is my favorite after Freak Show. Maybe this was the scariest, but still, it wasn’t really horror. The absence of Jessica Lange is a knife in the heart, but once again the cast was great. Evan Peters has his best role (in my opinion) and Wes Bentley, Cheyenne Jackson, and Matt Bomer are a joy for the eyes and great actors. Lady Gaga was also amazing with her role, she was just perfect I swear. But the best one, in my opinion, was absolutely Denis O’Hare that had already shown his talent in the past seasons, but it’s a shame that he only gets secondary roles. His character in this season was just over the top.
Obviously, this season has taken A LOT of inspiration from other movies or even video games, but in my opinion, was still a very good one. And okay, maybe the plot wasn’t so original but it was so entertaining!


Now I have to start being less kind because I have t talk about “Roanoke”, that is one of my least favorite seasons, at the point, I would tell you to skip it.
I mean, Kathy Bathes has a great role, her best in this show, but that’s all.
This season was really boring (for me) not scary at all and some characters, like Sarah Paulson’s, were written very bad. She had basically just to scream and cry.
The ending of this show was a complete disaster, it was so random, but so was all the season. I think it could end at the fifth episode and it would have had more sense.
By the way, Cheyenne Jackson and Wes Bentley are always very hot and so is Lady Gaga ;).


Season seven, “Cult”: another flop. I mean, the idea behind this season was intriguing, but they failed in the realization. Evan Peters’ and Sarah Paulson’s characters were amazing and really interesting, but I can’t understand why they hired new actors instead of using the old ones, that would have fit perfectly in their roles. I hated them, I mean they weren’t bad, they just weren’t as good as the precedent one. So, in my opinion, it’s a NO for Billie Lourd, Leslie Grossman, and Billy Eichner. They should have used actors from old seasons for their role.
It’s a shame the realization of this season was so bad because I really liked the idea behind it.
More, most of the “plot twists” were really predictable and this was a little bit disappointing.
So, it’s a no for this season as well, even if it was better than the previous one.


I am really glad we finally come to talk about “Apocalypse” because I loved it!
It was very enjoyable and it was really something more! It was so good to see the old cast members come back, especially the queen Jessica Lange! It was a shame Dennis O’Hare didn’t come back too, by the way. I still don’t understand why they kept hiring Billie Lourd and Leslie Grossman but I can ignore it. The adding of Cody Fern to the cast was the best idea they had in two seasons. He ruled this season, he was so good and his character was a-m-a-z-i-n-g! This season was murder house, was coven but with something more and I simply loved it.
The plot was interesting, with a lot of plot twists and there were a lot of themes, but I loved all of them. Ad Cheyenne Jackson was hotter than ever.
The only thing really disappointing was the ending, there was a scene in particular that didn’t convince me at all, but the last scene definitely made things better.


Last and least: “1984”. This was the worst season. A total flop. The fact that the two main actors weren’t there was probably part of the reason I hated this season, also because they used almost all the ones I don’t like!
I only loved to see Lily Rabe’s and John Caroll Lunch’s performance, because I found even Cody Fern’s character really annoying.
I also liked the come back of the Night Stalker, Richard Ramirez, because his character was amazing and I totally loved Zach Villa. He ruled this season. On the other hand, this season had totally copied Friday 13th, so it wasn’t even original. I liked the theme song, the intro, and some performances but that’s all.

Here we come to my overall opinion of this show: it was a good show and I will totally re-watch some of the seasons. The cast was absolutely great, especially some actors and actresses. It’s worth watching it for them.So, my rating is 7/10.

If you want and advice anyway, don’t watch all the seasons. Skip season six, seven, and nine.
But if it is the horror you are looking for, don’t watch this show. Watch something else, something I can recommend you in one of the next reviews!
Let me know your opinion about AHS and tell me if you want my opinion of season ten when it will come out!
Follow us and leave a comment if you like what we do or if you want to discuss shows and movies. You can also send us requests about the next thing we should make a review about! Do it here or on Instagram!


Love,
MayPhoenix.


Comments

Popular Posts